Bowls are easy to prepare, customisable, and packed with fresh, nutrient-rich ingredients that make you feel as good as they taste.
Burrito bowls are all the rage right now, and it’s easy to see why. They’re easy to prepare, customisable, and packed with fresh, nutrient-rich ingredients that make you feel as good as they taste.
The principle is simple. Fill your bowl with a grain ingredient like rice or quinoa, a protein ingredient like chicken, tofu or steak, and then add beans and vegetables. Add all the extras you crave, like salsa, creamy avocado or tangy lime, and voilà – a meal that satisfies your burrito cravings, minus the tortilla. Burrito bowls tend to contain more vegetables and more content overall than a regular burrito, which means they are more nutritious and keep you full for longer.
You can build your burrito bowl however you like, or try our recipe for a chicken fajita burrito bowl. We made it with pan-fried, seasoned chicken, lime rice, creamy avocado, black beans and vegetables.
With only 433 kcal per serving, 45g of protein and only 2g of saturated fat, it’s the perfect meal for anyone counting calories or looking to meet their protein needs. The burrito bowls also keep well in the refrigerator. So if you want to prepare a meal, just use double the amount of ingredients for each serving.
We opted for a classic recipe, but remember that you can add extra ingredients or vegetables you have in the fridge to avoid food waste.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 120g chicken breast
- 9g fajita spice
- low-calorie oil spray
- 30g long grain white rice
- 60ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ¼ lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 25g lettuce, shredded
- 30g canned black beans, washed and drained
- 30g canned sweet corn, drained
- 15g red onion, sliced
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh salsa
- fresh lime and chilli flakes for serving
- In a shallow dish or bowl, coat the chicken breasts with a few sprays of low-calorie oil spray and the fajita seasoning.
- Spray a frying pan with low-calorie oil spray, sear the chicken on both sides, then cook over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes per side. The chicken should be cooked through, but still juicy.
- After cooking, let the chicken rest on a warm plate and cover with foil.
- While the chicken is resting, cook the rice: Combine rice, stock and garlic in a saucepan over high heat. Stir well and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and cover with a lid until the rice is cooked through.
- Loosen the rice with a fork and mix in lime juice and coriander. Add the rice to the bowl.
- Now cut the chicken into strips and arrange on top of the rice with lettuce, beans, corn and onions.
- Top with avocado slices, a squeeze of lime and chilli flakes.
Have fun trying it out and bon appétit from PureGym!
You can find more recipes under News.